Samsung has recently launched three new additions to the Galaxy S4 line – the S4 Zoom, S4 Mini and S4 Active. We spotted the Galaxy S4 Active on display so played with it for a few minutes and we go hands on as well. This is the first Galaxy smartphone to be waterproof and obviously being pitted against the Sony Xperia Z, the current Sony flagship smartphone that caught the attention of many because of its slim and beautiful design plus its waterproof.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active specs:
- 1.9GHz Quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor
- Adreno 320 GPU
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB ROM, expandable via MicroSD up to 64GB
- 5 inch TFT full HD display (1080 x 1920 pixels) 441 ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass 2
- IP67 certified Water and Dust resistant
- 8 megapixel rear facing camera with autofocus and LED flash
- 2 megapixel front facing camera
- LTE, HSPA+, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, USB OTG
- GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS support
- 2,600 nAh battery
- Android 4.2.2 Jellybean
- SRP: P27,990
- Water and Dust resistant – the best feature a phone could ever have
- Better build quality – the phone is made entirely of a high grade plastic case build for a more rugged use. This one is much better than the Galaxy S4’s cheap plastic build.
- Aqua Mode – a camera mode in the setting that can take pictures while underwater.
- Above average camera – Yes its only 8 megapixel shooter compared to its flagship sibling which has 13 megapixel camera but it can still take good photos.
- TFT display – Good thing Samsung opted for this one over AMOLED. I personally hate AMOLED display because of its over saturated colors. IPS is still the best display technology for me.
- I still hate TouchWiz UI on top of Android 4.2
- Air gestures, Eyes gestures are too gimmicky. Do we really need all of this on our everyday lives.
Do you want a flagship Android smartphone that water proof but doesn’t compromise style? Go and buy the Sony Xperia Z.