I have been playing around with the Sony Xperia L for quite sometime now. The Xperia L is a midrange smartphone which is a disappointment when you look at the specs on paper. But everything changed when I started using the phone.
Sony Xperia L specs:
- 1GHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8230 processor
- Adreno 305 GPU
- 1GB RAM
- 4.3 inch FWVGA display (854 x 480 pixels) 228 ppi
- 8 megapixel rear camera with LED flash
- VGA front camera
- 3G/HSDPA, WiFi. WiFi Direct,WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0
- GPS, A-GPS
- 1,750 mAh battery
- Android 4.1 Jellybean
- SRP: P14,990 on retail, P10,998 on Kimstore
- Surpisingly fast and zippy – the 1GHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor seems so underwhelming but its surprisingly fast and no lags were encountered while doing my review. This is a testament that its not about the quantity of cores but the quality of it.
- Nice design – it has a curved back similar to the Xperia V which makes it easier to hold.
- Nice UI – among the OEMs with UI on top on Android, Sony’s UI is my favorite. Simple, easy to learn and not cluttered. I wish LG and Samsung would revamp their UIs.
- Camera – it passed but not great
- Expensive – P14,990 is quite too much. Well, I can’t blame Sony since their prices are usually higher than Samsung or LG. I suggest that if you really like this device, you better go to Kimstore which is priced lower at P10,998.
- Display – I really don’t get it why Sony, maker of LCD/LED TVs with great screen quality, makes mobile phones with below average display quality. Don’t take me wrong but when you compare just the flagship Xperia Z or Z1 to Samsung Galaxy S4 or LG G2, you will see the difference. Its not disappointing but not great. I am expecting better display quality from them. In the case of the Xperia L, the display is good despite low-res 854 x 480 display, there are better phones with the same screen resolution but has better viewing angles and vibrant display, Check out my hands on of the Lenovo A706. Its even more affordable at P7,990.
- Battery – Just don’t let the 3G or Wi-Fi on for too long. Other than that the battery lasts for 10 hours with normal use.