We seldom see Android tablets with excellent build quality and the closest thing to that is the 2013 Google Nexus 7. But that’s a 7-inch tablet. On the 10.1-inch arena the Google Nexus 10 is a standout but the tablet is already more than a year old. Google is already prepping up the next 10.1 inch tablet and the new Nexus smartphone. Can’t wait for it? Well, the Sony Xperia Tablet Z might be your best option. It is the most beautifully crafted tablets today just the same as Apple’s iPad 4 in terms of built quality. You can choose from a Wi-Fi only variant and LTE variant. Yes! The Tablet Z is LTE-capable!
Sony Xperia Tablet Z specs:
- 1.5GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
- Adreno 320 graphics
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB internal memory expandable up via MicroSD up to 64GB
- 10.1-inch LED backlit LCD HD display (1200 x 1920 pixels) 224 ppi
- Sony Mobile Bravia Engine 2
- Shatter proof and scratch resistant glass
- IP57 certified – dust proof and water resistant
- 8 megapixel front facing camera with autofocus
- 2.2 megapixel camera
- LTE, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, DLNA, Wi-Fi direct, Bluetooth 4.0
- GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS
- 6,000 mAh battery
- Android 4.1 Jellybean, upgradable to Android 4.2
- SRP: P37,990 on Sony Stores, P30,990 for Wi-Fi and LTE on Kimstore
- Design – The most beautiful and well crafted 10.1 inch Android tablet I have ever seen. Glass in the front and soft matte finish at the back. It comes in white as well.
- Display – Since the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (which has a stunning 2560 x 1600 pixels) has not arrived yet, the Sony Xperia Tablet Z still has the best display quality in an Android tablet.
- Water Resistant – Is there any other tablet on this planet that is water resistant?
- Web Browsing and Social Networking- Having an HD display in a 10.1-inch tablet will give excellent browsing experience.
- Battery – Good battery life.
- Price – Why on Earth is Sony selling the tablet for P37,990?!? Anyway, you can buy this tablet for P30,990.
- Some reported lags – I’ve been reading some blogs including Unbox’s review that there are noticeable lags. In my experience, there were no lags encountered during my time with it. But Unbox’s review was very thorough so I consider this as a downer.
- Tablet Apps – Android is still way behind iOS tablet apps. Good thing though apps choices are consistently growing.
The tablet needs a little refinement but this is one very good Android tablet.